Monday, March 3, 2014

Skinny Tie

Is it just me or are men's skinny ties hard to come by? There seems to be a decent selection of "slim" ties, but very rarely do I find one that's "skinny". I don't want to sound judgmental here, but slim is just not quite skinny enough. So, I decided to go on a hunt for a tie pattern that matched my skinny needs.

At the time, I was not very adventurous and relied more heavily on patterns. I found many tutorials to re-fashion regular ties into skinny ones, but I wanted to make one from scratch. I finally found this tutorial: Skinny Tie Pattern by See Kate Sew. The pattern can be used to make a square-ended tie, but I chose to stick with the classic style. If you use quilter's cotton, you will need to use interfacing like the instructions suggest. I might suggest using a heavier-weighted fabric if you want to avoid interfacing.

The tutorial was straight forward and easy to follow. It was a bit time consuming for me, but it may have been due to the fact that it was one of my earlier projects. I did not gift the tie as intended, but it was still fun to make. Also, you can shorten the length to make a woman's tie. Choose interesting prints and just have fun with it!




Pin It Now!